The Emperor of Nihon-Ja by John FlanaganMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
*This review has many spoilers*
Summary:When Horace travels to the exotic land of Nihon- Ja, it isn't long before he finds himself pulled into a battle that is not his - but one he knows in his heart he must wage. A kingdom teeters on the edge of chaos when the Nihon-Ja emperor, a defender of the common man, is forcibly overthrown, and only Horace, Will, and his Araluen companions can restore the emperor to the throne. Victory lies in the hands of an inexperienced group of fighters, and it's anybody's guess who will make the journey home to Araluen.
In my opinion, this book is my favourite in the entire series. Once again, I loved the plot, and the characters were hilarious. Here are some of my favourite highlights of the book:
Nicknames!: The nicknames that the Emperor gave Will and Horace were absolutely hilarious. I loved the part when Will found out that his nickname (Chocho) meant "Butterfly" after his "speech" during the battle. He was named that for his imagination. Horace's nickname Kurokuma (Black Bear) was equally funny, especially when he found he was called that from his hearty appetite, and not from his "prodigious strength and mighty prowess in battle."
Alyss and Cassandra/Evanlyn: The drama between them about Will was hilarious, especially when Alyss didn't realize that Evanlyn was in love with Horace, and not with Will. I quote "'Will? What about Will? What is it about you about me and Will?' 'Because you're in love with him! You're the princess and you think you can have anything you want, and you want Will. Any fool can see that!' 'Then I'm afraid you're the fool, Alyss Mainwaring, because I am not in love with Will. I'm in love with Horace.' 'Of course you are! Don't deny it! you...' Alyss suddenly realized what the princess had said and floundered to a stop. 'You're what?' she said...'"
And last but not least...
The Ending: I LOVED the romance at the ending, especially when Will "proposed" to Alyss really "wrong", as quoted. I was really happy when I read that Horace and Cassandra/Evanlyn were getting married, and I think they're an amazing couple!
I highly recommend this to everyone, because it's just AMAZING!!!!!! :D
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment